Jan 22, 2010
While out picking up some groceries I grabbed the latest issue and hurried to read the article... however, I was extremely disappointed to see that they only chose to use 2 of the shots (with her hair blown out) for the feature. Wow, out of 6 amazing shots, they only happened to choose the 2 with her hair straight. *side eye*
Once I moved back out West, I was once again in the land of fake boobs, fake hair and fake personalities. I had to deal with seeing weaves everywhere and it did start to get to me. I was like, damn... I need to get a sew-in asap so I don't do anything drastic to my hair (chopping it off or throwing in a texturizer)... but it's really encouraging to see Beyonce rocking her wild curls. It's like, yes... you can be beautiful and with your natural hair. This is something that put a smile on my face so I hope some other ladies out there can see this and feel inspired.
Jan 20, 2010
Psalm 91 (King James Version)
1) He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
2) I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
3) Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence.
4) He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.
5) Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day;
6) Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday.
7) A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
8) Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.
9) Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation;
10) There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.
11) For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.
12) They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone.
13) Thou shalt tread upon the lion and adder: the young lion and the dragon shalt thou trample under feet.
14) Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name.
15) He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him.
16) With long life will I satisfy him, and shew him my salvation.
Jan 19, 2010
I – Thou shalt be thankful for the hair that adorns thy head. Your hair is your ‘crown of glory’ treat it as such.
II – Thou shalt not idolize the hair that adorns another’s head. The hair on your head is unique, it’s what makes you you.
III – Thou shalt not take the hair that adorns thy head in vain. Be aware of the damage that chemicals and heat can cause, some of the damage is irreversible.
IV – Remember to take the necessary time to pamper thy hair. Create a routine, set aside specific days for sealing your ends, massaging, trimming, washing, conditioning and styling your hair. A healthy head of hair will be your reward.
V – Honor thy mother, father and ancestors for the beautiful traits that they have bestowed upon thee, one of which is your natural crown of glory. Wear your natural hair with pride.
VI – Thou shalt not attempt to use a fine-tooth comb to detangle thy hair. Even before using a wide-tooth comb, use your fingers to detangle, and when detangling always start from the ends and work your way up towards your scalp.
VII – Thou shalt not be ashamed to wear your natural hair in public. Wigs, weaves, braid extensions etc. are all wonderful temporary ‘protective’ and ‘transition’ styles, but they don’t compare to the beauty of your natural hair.
VIII – Thou shalt not kill the hair follicles on thy head – with high heat, harsh chemicals or tight styles. Stay away from pore clogging, dry scalp causing petroleum based products; use natural essential oil based ones instead. Be gentle with your hair, seek out professional stylists who have experience in styling your hair type.
IX – Thou shalt not bad mouth thy neighbor’s hair. Be respectful and encouraging to those who have not yet chosen to wear their hair natural. Negative comments will only turn them away from the natural hair community.
X – Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s hair; thou shalt not covet it’s texture, nor it’s curl pattern, nor it’s length etc. Appreciate the hair that you were blessed with. Try different styles and accessories that accentuate your very own personality and style.
Jan 15, 2010
Here's a juicy sneak peek of the show...
I'm definitely going to go hard for this show because Kelly Cutrone is one of the FEW people in hollywood and reality tv that keeps in real. Actually, I'd love to see her on Wendy Williams show... that'd be a great interview... 2 of the loudest, bluntest ladies going head to head.
I'm not one for New Year's resolutions (I actually decided to get myself together BEFORE the year ended... no need to wait for the 1st to hit) but I've gotten back into Yoga and couldn't feel better. It's like my body is being zipped up! I feel amazing. My new Yoga instructor came off as a bit of a dictator nazi... but I love having someone push me to stretch deeper, hold my poses longer and not give up. I've committed myself to attend at least 3 yoga sessions a week and use this time to focus on myself and release any tension from the day.
It's easy to get caught up in our jobs, relationships, etc... but everyone should be taking at least an hour out of the day to connect with yourself, God, or whatever spiritual higher being you believe in. It's truly a wonderful feeling to get yourself centered again.
Jan 12, 2010
"The road to success is lined with many tempting parking spaces."
There are many times in life when we fall short of our goals and find a seemingly comfortable parking space - - be it personally, professionally, romantically... we become content, comfortable, or wake up and realize we've settled for less than what we truly want. However, it is never too late to start living the life you want.
As an adult, we are responsible for our own actions and really are in control of our future. Life is too amazing and wonderful to waste time accepting a life less than that of what you'd like to be living out. It doesn't take all day to recognize sunshine, nor does it take all day to realize you're miserable. Do yourself a favor and get an exit plan and prioritize some happiness in your life.
*my blogging has been fairly inconsistent lately due to me moving and getting ready to embark on a new adventure!!! I hope to have things back to normal within the next few weeks*
Jan 4, 2010
Is this not the most adorable thing ever? It retails for only $29.99 and is available at all Metro Park stores and online.
In Arizona: Scottsdale Fashion Square @ 7014 E. Camelback Rd. Scottsdale, AZ 85251 - 602.626.9939
In Chicago: 2042 N. Halsted St. Chicago, IL 60614 - 773.634.5009
For other locations across the country click here.